November 29, 2013

Our Germified Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving is not a holiday here in Germany so there is work and other things that keep us busy during the day but we did want to celebrate it. We decided to do the traditional thanksgiving dinner...well....in a totally different way. Instead of turkey we had chicken. Instead of the green-bean casserole we had German style greenbeens. Mashpotatoes & cranberry sauce were normal. My grandma quickly made some yummy pumpkin pie & my mom made a strawberry pie...with 2 giant marshmallows on top. ☺

We were stuffed.

I volunteered for the decorating the table ☺ I went scouting for some fall plants when I walked the dog and made the dried flower bouquet/ thankfulness tree. After dinner we each wrote 3 things we were thankful for.


How was your Thanksgiving?







Stay in Touch:
        facebook  twitter ♥ pinterest ♥ rss google+♥ bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Char in Mt Airy,NcSaturday, November 30, 2013

    ours was quiet. My two older children were not here. No other family. Just me, hubby and 5 year old daughter. Sort of lonesome:(

    Still very thankful for so many blessings. I am a 5 year breast cancer survivor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your centerpiece. It's like a Thanksgiving tree!
    My family has a southern-influenced Thanksgiving, so it's probably a little different than what you think of as a typical Thanksgiving too. Besides the turkey and stuffing and cranberry sauce and green bean casserole, we have sweet potato boats (Sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving are pretty typical in the south, so maybe you've had them when you were here, but most people make a casserole out of them with marshmallows on top. Sweet potatoes have so much natural sugar though that they really don't need marshmallows. My family just adds butter, cheddar cheese and bacon bits, whips it up to make it fluffy and rebakes it in the potato skins... so much better). We also eat corn bread instead of dinner rolls, and Jello salad. We have two pies; one always has to be pumpkin, and the other one changes every year. This year it was maple pecan. Your mom's strawberry pie sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, dear reader! ♥ Tell me your thoughts, opinions, or anything else you want to say. I promise....I'll respond!

Please make sure you are not a NO-REPLY COMMENTER and have hooked up your email address to your account. Or come back to see my answer!